Healthy Easter Treats with Annique Rooibos Lifestyle Shake
With Easter just around the corner, thoughts are turning towards chocolate. Unfortunately, the negative effects of milk chocolate are rife:
- The added sugar in chocolate can cause weight gain, heart disease and tooth decay
- Sugar is highly addictive and overconsumption can cause mood swings and fatigue
- Refined carbohydrates, like sugar, can cause spikes in your blood sugar, which can make your body resistant to insulin over time and may lead to Type 2 diabetes
- Chocolate contains caffeine which, when over-consumed, can cause rapid heartbeat, anxiety, depression, restlessness, sleep problems, tremors, nausea and vomiting
Add Annique’s delicious Chocolate Lifestyle Shake to this recipe for a healthy twist on a popular Easter treat!
Annique’s Lifestyle Shake contains vitamins and mineral and other ingredients that promote health, including:
- Calcium and phosphorus for strong, healthy bones and teeth and maintenance and growth of muscle.
- Vitamin B-complex for increased energy, stress management, good night rest and ideal for hyper active kids.
- Vitamin C for resistance against infection and the formation of collagen that is part of skin, bones, muscles, tendons, teeth and connective tissues,
- Vitamin D for adequate absorption of calcium and phosphorus in the blood.
- Vitamin E to prevent body tissue from breaking down.
- Protein for the formation of muscle tissue, blood cells and tendon structures.
- Rooibos extract – Annique includes their internationally awarded Rooibos extract in the Lifestyle Shake formula for its anti-allergic, anti-spasmodic and antioxidant properties.
Dark Chocolate Coconut Easter Nests
Makes about 12 nests
1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds – chill in fridge (add a few sprinkles more as needed for handling)
1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips (70%+ cocoa solids, which is a much healthier option than milk chocolate)
1 tbsp Chocolate Lifestyle Shake
¼ cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
½ tsp salt
- Add the coconut oil and dark chocolate chips to a microwavable bowl and heat in short intervals – stirring well at each interval to ensure the chocolate does not burn. You can also melt over a double broiler. Stir chips into melted oil until creamy.
- Stir in salt, vanilla and Lifestyle Shake until dissolved.
- Fold in the chilled coconut.
- You can either shape the nests and place on parchment paper – or place dollops of the mixture in greased or lined muffin tins – and punch a tiny hole in centre for nest shape.
- Place nests in freezer for at least 20 minutes. They should be ready to serve! You can store in either the fridge or freezer. Thaw a few minutes before serving.